Sunday, October 16, 2011

Occupy . . . Are you involved?

I'm not. It's not that I'm not interested. But, like much of the middle class, I'm too busy surviving to participated in a demonstration of the frustration that many of us are feeling with the world economic situation. I AM one of the lucky ones. No, I'm not the top 1% -- the super rich -- I'm solidly entrenched in the middle class. But I have a job which seems as secure as any I can see in today's environments. But you never know, so I am working like the devil to keep it that way.

So what is the issue? I'm thinking GREED. Yep, good old greed. The greed of corporations is the basic issue. It is expressed by the demonstrators in various ways, but it boils down to this simple concept. Admittedly, it's not a simple concept. After all PROFIT -- the goal of greed -- benefits even those who only work for a corporation. My 401K plan benefits when the companies in the mutual funds make more money and the values of the stocks rise. But, the benefit to the average worker is minimal.

So what can we do? My opinion is that we must make social responsibility part of the equation. We need to make it PROFITABLE. We need to make the people in the boardrooms and executive suites understand that employing Americans is PROFITABLE. We need to make social responsibility profitable. This may mean higher prices for things, but it has to happen. Hit them in the only place where they feel it -- in their PROFITS.

We also need to make them understand that, if the gap between the haves and have-nots continues to increase or remain as it is, something bad will happen. I'm not advocating anything, just reacting to the atmosphere that I perceive in the society. The pressure is building and it has to be released.