Friday, December 16, 2011

Everything is Connected . . . Should it Be?

Today when I clicked on Blogger to create a new post, I was prompted to link my Google+ profile with my Blogger profile. I use a Chrome plug in which allows me to post to both Google+ and Facebook. I put something on Twitter and it shows up on Linked in. Everything is connected. The question I have is -- should it be?

Do I really want, or need my thoughts spread throughout the Internet? Do I need to know that things I enter here appear everywhere else? Do I want my entire Internet persona integrated through software? Or do I want, even value, the split personality that producing multiple blogs affords me? I don't know.

On one hand, integrating everything means that people can find my thoughts whether they follow me on Twitter, friend me on Facebook or are in a circle on Google+. Don't get me wrong, I am not under any delusion that people actually care what I write. I think that most followers, friends, or circle members have the primary interest of getting me to follow what they write and only follow, friend, circle me to get me to reciprocate. And most of those hope to make money by getting me to purchase their product or service. But, enough about that.

I'm not sure that everything I say is of interest to everyone. After all, I blog about social media here, programming and IT topics on Bob Breedlove, U.S. politics on American Person and things of general interest at my website. Not everyone is interested in all those topics, even though they all interest me. So linking everything together may not make sense. In addition, linking everything means that someone has a pretty complete picture of me which they can turn into more profits for them. From a privacy point-of-view, when we stop to think about it, can be pretty disturbing.

But more on this as I see what the benefits and drawbacks of all this linking are.